Question
Posted by: mummy2b | 2007/11/29

Sorry this sounds stupid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi.

I would like to find out at how many weeks is it safe to have a premature baby, for example if I get a baby at 31 weeks will be baby be oaky what are the risks and how high are those risks,will the baby not have any disformations even when they grow up, will they be 100% normal?

Sorry this sounds stupiid, I am asking cause my doctor told me I might have this baby at around 34 weeks, I am now 31 weeks.

Expert ImageArchive

Dear Mummy 2b
Babies can survive as early as 24 weeks. Any baby is at risk for developmental problems and should be checked within 4 months after birth by an early intervention clinic. A premature baby will not have any deformities as a result of the prematurity.

It is not a stupid question. Premature babies can be very ill, but they also do very well in some instances. It is difficult to tell before the time, but rest assured that care became to soficticated and that your baby will be in good hands if born early.
Warm regards
Welma

4
Posted by: mummy2b | 2007/12/04

Thank You.

All your advices sound very positive, for a while I was beginning to get so worked up, my blood pressure is too high so the doctor is really trying to get me to at least 38 weeks, I am now 32 weeks.

Reply to mummy2b
Posted by: Meis | 2007/12/03

Your question is obviously, when can you stop stressing about the survival of a premature baby. Well the answer is quit simple, no premature baby or even full term baby has a 100% chance of survival. But full term babies have a slight advantage in the walk of life.

Premature babies' chances of survival depends on a lot of factors. I.e the care of the baby, why the baby was born premature, how many wks premature etc. Statistics showed that a baby born premature between 27 and 33wks have a good chance of survival whilst after 33wks there is a slight risk again so I recon it all depends on the circumstances.

My little boy was born prem 33wks 1,8 kg and my little girl bron prem 30wks 1,2kg. Both are doing just gr8!.

I would however advice if you can walk the walk and talk the talk, try to carry as long as possible. The emmense stress and lack of bonding time with a prem is not like other people tend to state - aahh lucky you got time off - i'd rather carry full term than have the stress we had of having two prems!

Reply to Meis
Posted by: Kym | 2007/12/03

We had a baby born at 23 weeks at Sandton clinic what survived and is fine. My son was born at 27 weeks and is fine yes he has asthma but that is also family realted so ja.

Good luck and if you need any adivce please feel free to contact SA Preemies.

Reply to Kym
Posted by: CS | 2007/11/30

Hi, just thought I would tell you that my LO was born at 31 weeks. He is 15 months old now. Has caught up weight wise and doing really well. He has obviously had problems, but none that was prem related. I has placenta previa and had gone into early labour and lots of bleeding. This is the reason he was born soo early. I think that having a full term baby is no guarantee that your baby would not have any problems. At least your doctor is aware that you might have to deliver early and they can be prepared for it. I am sure that unless it is essential, your doctor would not deliver your baby any earlier than he has to. Good Luck

Reply to CS