Question
Posted by: rw | 2005/06/26

sores on the penis

hi,
Q1: i have sores on my penis, what does this mean?
Q2: how important is circumcision and is it too late to circumcise at 23? Is it advisable?

Please help.

Expert ImageArchive

Hi RW and thank you for posting your question,

In terms of your first question, it is likely that sores on your penis indicated that you have contracted a sexually transmissable infection (STI). Such infections increase your own risk of being infected with HIV, and it is very likely that you are infecting your sexual partners with an STI. I suggest you visit your nearest community clinic as soon as possible.

Circumcision is becoming an increasingly controversial topic. Adult circumcision is usually only indicated on medical grounds. Unless you experience discomfort when your penis is erect, and provided your foreskin is able to slide back with cofort, there may be no advantage to being circumcised. If circumcision is indicated for medical reasons, it can be done at any age. The procedure should be done under sterile conditions - please consult your doctor or clinic.