Question
Posted by: David | 2006/10/27

Sores on scalp

For the last year or so I have been getting acne like sores on my scalp. I thought it was diet or medication related, but it has persisted. They are painful and erupt just like acne.

Any ideas?

Expert ImageArchive

Let me tell you that the condition is not diet related. It sounds to me that you are suffering from folliculitis of the scalp. That is an infection of hair follicles. The most common cause is a bacterium, but now and again a fungus is the culprit. Sometimes no cause can be found. In these case stress may provoke an attack. I cannot make a diagnosis. Your doctor should be able to make the correct diagnosis by ordering a few tests.