Question
Posted by: debrad | 2008/01/07

SORES ON CHINCHILLA CAT

My chinchilla gets sores (always head and maybe neck area) (starts small and gets big if I don't take her to the vet). The vet said she was allergic to chicken, so I stopped giving her Royal Canine for Persians and she is now on Hills Science for allergies. She still gets sores, this happens every few (3/4) months and then she gets a cortizone injection and is fine for a while. However, in October I had her shaved as I do with my 2 persians, but now her hair is not growing back at all. I want to know how do I know that she is allergic to chicken? Isn't cortizone bad for animals? Are there not bad side effects? How do I know she is not allergic to fleas? How can I help my poor baby?

Allergies present in many different forms some of whihc are skin lesions. Determining the caus eof allergies is difficult and time consuming especially in food allergies as one needs to eliminate all but one or two ingredients and feed them until no signs of an allergy are seen. Then the other ingredients are slowly reintroduced until the allergen is found. Fleas are a common cause of allergies and must be eliminated first as they are the easiest to rule out.

Is the coat not grwoing back at all? and are there new lesions since the grooming?

1
Posted by: debrad | 2008/01/08

The coat is not growing back at all and the weekend I found one lesion which is the first after her last shot of cortisone on the 4.12.07.

Reply to debrad