Question
Posted by: BMJ | 2008/07/02

Sores not healing

Doc, I have a 5yr old boy that is generally healthy apart from constant ear problems that is being treated by a ENT. He is very small 102cm and weighs 14kgs.

I am a bit concerned as he has a couples of open sores (from falling) on his elbows and knees. The seem to take forever to heal and he is not a 'picker'. The one sore on his knee looks like a crater and he has had it for over a month. He has an olive complexion, but of late he seems pale to me. He does not eat a lot.

I have been giving him a supplement with all the fatty acids including magnesium and zinc for the last 2 weeks.

Do I need to be concerned?

BMJ

Dear BMJ
I think you should just check your son's blood sugar, and iron levels too. Try Bactroban ointment on the sores and cover it up with Band Aid - sometimes it is due to a bacteria that can be contagious.