Question
Posted by: Belinda | 2008/01/21

Sore Veins and chest pains

I am 35y female. Healthy weight and reasonably active. I dont drink or smoke. I am a chronic asthmatic and use Serotide. Asthma under control. For about 4 weeks now I have experienced chest pain in the middle and to the left of my chest. (defin not breats pain). I also have very sore veins down my arms. My left arm feels uncomfortable - like when you have restless legs, and my back pains inbeween my shoulders to the left. My veins feel like they are burning. The chest pain is not severe - just reasonably uncomfortable. I occasionally get very bad heartburn, despite not having had supper and not usually suffering from heartburn - I only get that at night.

I had one grandparent that has a fatal heart attack in his 40's. No other that I know off. My colestrol is normal and blood pressure usually very low - 60/86 to 80/110.

Any suggestions about what the problem could be?

Belinda

Dear Belinda
If the pain is not exercise related, not a heavy pressing pain with a feeling of shortness of breath and sweatiness ( which could be a sign of heart disease), it could be due to muscle spasm putting pressure on the group of nerves running to your arm and chest. It may be safer to do an ECG just to exclude heart problems, and then see a physiotherapist for an evaluation to see if you need x/rays of your neck and/or referral to an orthopedic specialist.