Question
Posted by: stepper | 2004/11/09

Sore legs

Hi there.

I've started stepping classes 3 weeks ago ( 3 times a week for 30 - 40 mins ).
I havn't done any type of exercise before that so this is quite new to me. I'm 30 and weight 105. Reasing for exercise is to loose weight.
My questions are 1.Although I last through the whole class using the lowest step , lately my legs feel quite sore when I walk or climb . Is there any type of cream like voltaren or deep heat I can rub on to ease this ? Its not a muscle strain or anything , just my legs being a bit overworked.
and 2. are these classes enough to loose weight ? I also changed my eating habbits... no more coke and no more fat.
only fruit and veg and I grill my meat and chicken.

Your help will be much appreciated.
I must add that the exercise thus far has improved my overall fitness. Just the legs.

HI Stepper

The leg pain is probably a symptom of excessive exercise and load on the joints and muscles. There are 2 kinds of pain - the one is the sharp pain when you are stiff from exercise, the other is a dull, aching pain, which is what you probably have, if I understand the question right. Just about everyone experiences pain after the first session, because all these muscles which have not been active for so long are suddenly being used and it can really cause major stiffness. Over time though, this type of pain disappears and you won't get stiff anymore. Pain and fatigue are still quite common though, and especially, with something like stepping, that involves some impact, it's not unusual to have some pain. I think that the best solution is to back off the training for a bit, rather than creams. The creams don't really address the problem - the creams are there for inflammation, but they are so superficial that they don't really get to the deep muscle and this makes them less effective. So, what I would do is just spend 2 weeks where you do 2 step classes a week, and on the third day, instead of your normal stepping, do something like walking, aerobics, taebo, spinning etc., to break the routine and give the legs a chance to recover.

Finally, regarding weight loss, it sure sounds like you are on the right track, now it is just a matter of maintaing this, getting fitter, and then I would suggest adding in another day per week, where you do something else, but only at a later stage once you are fitter.