Posted by: Tumi | 2008/09/11

Sore Knees

I started exercising 4 months ago and this is my 5th month. I have been walking for 20 minutes, 4 times a week. Now I walk 5km on the treadmill three days a week (twice a day) and 45min walk once a week (twice a day). I am not sure if I am over doing this because my knees are very sore (both of them). The pain is on and off, so based on that, I continue with walking. What could be the problem? Is this serious? Must I go and see a podiatrist? Kindly advice.

Expert ImageArchive

Dear Tumi

Pain in the knees when walking or running can often be caused by foot alignment issues. I see many patients in my practice that suffer from a range of knee conditions that can be treated by correcting the position of the foot. I think it would be a good idea to see a podiatrist, they should have a good understanding of biomechanics and will be able to do a full assessment. If necessary, you will be given a pair of prescription insoles (orthotics) to correct the problem as well as advice on appropriate shoes.

Posted by: Tumi | 2008/09/17

Hi Chris
Thank you so, so much. I will visit a podiatrist soon.

Reply to Tumi