Question
Posted by: Anna | 2004/10/20

Sore Knees

I run on the treadmill 4 times a week and afterwards I do squats, machines, lunges etc. My problem is lately my knees are getting really sore. Especially after I do my lunges which constists of dumbells in each hand (6kg). And I do 3 sets of 20. I put my one foot forward, lunge then put it back and change legs. Do you think this is causing my sore knees? Also is it better to do lunges standing with your feet apart and just bending and after a set change legs? Or is continually changing more effective?

HI Anna

I suspect that what is causing your knee problems is an excessive load on the knees. Running obviously places a demand on the knees and then so do squats and lunges. Now, normally, if you train appropriately, the knee gets stronger and can handle this loading, but if the load is excessive, then the little niggles and injuries start to develop. So, it is often a case of just backing off slightly. This may mean doing 2 sets of lunges and squats, not 3. It may mean running for 5 minutes less every couple of days will do it too.

The other factor is technique, and I see that you've been given some advice on those lunges, which is also very important - you have to be really careful not to let that knee get too far forward or ahead of your toe. However, even with perfect technique, you should be aware of possibly over loading the knees.

GOod luck

2
Posted by: Anna | 2004/10/22

Cool thanks! I realised last night thats its not the running. I will take your advise.!

Reply to Anna
Posted by: brozz | 2004/10/22

Hi ther
the most important thing to remember when doing lunges or squats is that the knee does not go past the toes, and when squating do not go past 90degrees.

Reply to brozz