Question
Posted by: Twisty | 2010/12/10

Sore knee and gym training

Hi doc. I''m in my early twenties and I''m about to start going to gym. I''m not overweight -never have been. While riding on a quadbike 6 years ago, my leg caught in vines and twisted my knee. Now my knee will ache once every few days. I never went to the doctor. Should I have it checked before I go to gym, or should it be fine?

Hi Twisty

Safety first always beats going into something with "hope", and so yes, if you can see a doctor, then it might be worth it. The problem is that you might go and there's nothing wrong, but once you start training, it flares up. That always happens - the doctor doesn't get to see the problem!

So my advice is to start training, very cautiously, and avoid exercises that put excessive strain on the knee. One of two things will happen:
1. Your knee will adapt to the training by becoming stronger, and as a result, you'll never feel knee pain again.

2. You'll train just a little too hard, and your knee will hurt a little, and that is the ideal time to see either a physio or biokineticist, who will then recognize the exact cause of the problem and help with some exercise to strengthen it.

If you are careful with your training, then you should be able to avoid knee pain, but this is usually due to training too much too soon. So try to hold back, listen to your body, and possibly, the training will help you avoid relapse.

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2010/12/15

Hi Twisty

Reply to fitnessdoc