Question
Posted by: jane | 2003/02/03

sore heels in morning

I am in my early 30's and was never very active. I started gym about 5 months ago and have gradually increased my exercise routine to 6 days a week. 3 days gym consisting of mainly cardio exercise for 60 minutes and 3 days walking/jogging for 45 minutes. My aim is to get fit and lose weight. Since about a month after I started exercising when I wake up in the morning the heels of my feet is very sore and tender. It feels like the bone inside is sore. It lasts for about 10 minutes and then it's gone. Can you maybe teel me what the cause can be as it is very uncomfortable.

Hi Jane

It sounds very much like it might be plantar fasciitis, which is an inflammation of the fascii underneath your foot. Often, a symptom is great tenderness when first walking on feet in the morning. However, in order to obtain a proper diagnosis, you need to see your doctor, who will give you advice according to the nature of the injury.
Until you seem him/her, rather do non-weight-bearing exercise so as not to aggravate the problem. It might also be necessary to look at your sports shoes - which perhaps need to give you more shock absorption.

Good luck.