Question
Posted by: Maggie | 2003/03/08

SORE EYES - ANY CONNECTION WITH ARTHRITIS?

Dear Doc - I am going through a bad spell of Osteoarthritis in my neck particularly. I know I have degenerative disc damage....an annular bulge or something etc. etc. but to further complicate matters, my eyes seem to be under strain. Not caused through glasses, headaches etc. They burn and feel sore and I want to keep them closed all the time. IS there any connection with arthritis please? Thank you.

Maggie, there is definitely and association between certain types of arthritis (and the medications used to treat them) and eye problems. If it persists, the best would be to see your doctor, a rheumatologist, or an ophthalmologist. Good luck.