Question
Posted by: kitty | 2006/07/20

sore calve muscles!!

Hi there.

I am currently busy with my 4th week of the shape 10km training, and the first two and a half weeks, I ran with Reeboks that I wear everyday, but my calves started getting very sore when I ran. Then last week Wednesday, I went and bought Asics Speva running shoes. Thursday I ran, and it did the same, then I thought, maybe if I rest over the weekend, it would go away. But this morning, when I started with the 4th week's training, it still hurt my calves. It starts to burn, and my feet also. I'm very worried, because I’ve come so far, and I don't want to stop now. Is this maybe because the old shoes hurt me, and it is still not healed, or must my calves just get used to running? I'm thinking about taking this week off, and see if next Monday it is not better. Do you think I must just rest, or is it the shoes, or is it something that won't go away?? I've been through shin splints, which is gone now. I've gone through "miltsteek" and I’m still going. I really don't want to stop now. Any advice or recommendations??? I will appreciate it.

Kitty.

Expert ImageArchive

Hi Kitty

To start with are you a regular runner or is this a new and welcome exercise? The maxim walk before you can run is a useful one. Maybe the amount you do should iniitially be set at a lower level and gradually built up. Especially after years of inactivity. Can you touch your toes?

With any sport it is important to know how to do it well. Stretching before running is useful. I would suggest brisk walking initially to get the muscles loosend initiially.

Shoes can al;ways be a contributing factor.

It also may be the way that you walk/ run. Biomechanuically you may be slightly off kilter. But check the initial points first.

DrP