Question
Posted by: bronwyn | 2005/11/21

Sore calve muscles

I have just recently started exercising...I went to a beginner step class on saturday...which wasnt too strenuous...and my legs were fine...but wen I woke up yesterday morning I could hardly walk. My legs are still awfully sore today...but I want to go for a walk/run after wrk today...but now I'm scared that i might just hurt my calves even further...Is it tru, that when u are sore after exercise u should continue the exercise or should u give ur muscles a rest until they are better...thanks!

Hi Bronwyn

it sounds like it could just be a case of delayed onset of muscle soreness (or DOMS, for short). This always happens when you exercise muscles that were previously inactive. The muscle is exercised and gets very tiny tears, which take a few days to recover, and in this time, you develop this stiffness. So, for what it's worth, it's quite normal and nothing to be alarmed about. As for exercising again, I would advise against pushing beyond comfortable. Often,you can get away with very light exercise, especially once you warm up properly, but rather take it easy until the pain is gone. You can therefore still do a light session, but don't go back and do the same thing that caused all the pain in the first place. I'm sure that by the time you read this, you will start feeling better and perhaps by tomorrow you can exercise again. And the final piece of good news is that each time, this soreness will happen less and less.