Posted by: Nats | 2008/07/01

Sore Breasts

Dear Doctor,

Thank you for taking the time reading my email.

During my pregnancy, with twins, 3,5 years ago I had mastitis thrice. I breatfed my sons until they were 8 months old. Every month about 2 weeks before menstruation my breasts are very swollen & very tender for about a week. I once went to a GP to inspect my breasts for I thought I felt lumps, but he said it is caused by swollen glands perhaps of me contracting mastitis during breastfeeding. Is this true and is this normal? I have very small breasts (AA) and are difficult to inspect myself, for I always feel something hard, perhaps the bone, perhaps glads, I do not know?

Kind Regards

Many women have tender breasts in the second half of the cycle and this is hormonal. The important thing is for you to become familiar with your breasts, so that you will notice any CHANGE. The best time to feel them is just after a period.