Question
Posted by: Nita | 2004/11/15

Sore breasts

I know that your breasts are supposed to feel tender a while before your menstrual cycle, but I wonder if I have a problem.
My mother was diagnosed with breast cancer a few years ago and my breasts swell at least 2 sizes every month.
I am not complaining about the size, but it is very sensitive and I worry that the severe change might not be such a good thing.

Anyone else with this problem?

If it is cyclical, it is probably hormonal. With your family history, you should check your breasts for lumps each month though.

1
Posted by: Golly | 2004/11/15

Dear Nita,

No breast cancer in my family and my breasts used to do the same every month for almost 2 weeks before my period. I did read in a journal at the dr's that this happen to some women and is not indicative of any dissease or hormonal imbalance.

Concerning the history in your family - there is a blood test called CA 153 to test specifically for breast cnacer. It can pick up any change long before you discover a lump. Also, by going frequently, they cna monitor any change in the blood count which could signify increased risk for breast cancer. Please go and have this test done at least every year or maybe even twice a year. Docters usually do not tell women about this test and some medical aids may not want to pay, but given your family history, I'm sure it could be arranged.

I lost a dear friend and very special person to breast cancer early this year and it could all have been prevented if she had taken her family history into account and had her lump investigated when she first discovered it. Now her 3 daughters all go for a yearly CA 153 test. Please be pro-active and take care!

Reply to Golly