Question
Posted by: Dawid | 2007/04/19

Sore arm mussels

Dear Cyber Doc

Re: Gout in mussels enquiry :2126

My uric acid level were tested and found to be 52. The tear was in the medial aspect of the bicep tendon just below the musculo-tendinous juction. The injury happened in August 2006 and the last sonar done in March showed that it has healed. When i use my arm to pick up, push or pull anything weighing +- 1 Kg,and even bend my arm at 90 degrees at the elbow i get severe pain in the fore arm and upper arm mussels. There is no pain in the elbow joint at all.The treating orthopedic surgeon put me on gout medication and 3 weeks after starting with the medication there is no improvement. The pain wakes me at night. I have rested my arm for a period of10 days and worn an elbow gaurd with no improvement at all. Please help

Dear Dawid
This can also be caused by constriction of the brachial plexus (the big nerve bundle that goes to the arm) - either due to spasm or it may be due to a nerve pinching in the neck but the doctor probably checked for that by doing a x/ray. Gout is a joint disease mostly - see http://www.health24.com/news/Arthritis/1-891,29659.asp
Although you may have clinical high uric acid the pain could be from something else - it may be worth your while to see a physiotherapist and ask her to test the brachial plexus mobility?