Posted by: Anonymous | 2009/07/18

sore ankle

hi in 1999 i had a car accident and i broke my ankle. pins were placed in and taken out 6 months later. i can not move it like before the accident. now i have problems walking. could it be the weather as the docs say there is nothing more they can do with surgery?

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageArchive

Dear Anonymous

It is difficult to offer advice on this not knowing the extent of the injury, what was damaged and so on. I can only suggest that you visit a podiatrist or physio to have an assessment on the ankle. It is possible that they will be able to improve your walking through exercises or maybe a prescription insole.


The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: Thusneem | 2009/08/08

To Whom It May Concern

At the age of three I had a car accident. Tthe left leg grew very slowly. Ops were done. At the age of twelve it was decided that pins be placed in the right knee so that the left leg would catch up. A bone graph was done from the left hip to the left ankle to straighten the ankle. The operation was successful. At the age of sixteen the pins were removed. Today I am 33yrs old with 4 kids, I use a 2.5cm raise on my shoe. There are extreme strains on my left side of my body especially my ankle. It has become so painful that if I sleep and wake up I cannot put pressure on my leg at all to walk. If I sit and wake up I cannot wake up immediately and walk. I cannot walk for long periods. I most definitely cannot walk bare feet. I tried doing exercise but experienced a burning painful sensation in the ankle. I' m not sure if this is due to the op. that I had in Feb. and whether I' m damaging the ankle even more. If I take anti inflammatory tablets it will provide very little relief. In Feb. this year I had an orthros-scope of the ankle. I feel this op. probably gave me 1% relief. I was told that the last alternative was to the freeze the ankle joint completely as this was an abnormal ankle and not much can be done with it.

I believe something other than freezing the ankle can be done. I' m not asking for a miracle, only to provide me with some kind of relief.

With all due respect, if you do not know or cannot provide me with answers, I will be much oliged if you could assist with names of registered specialist that may assist me further.

Thanking you in advance.

Reply to Thusneem

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.