Question
Posted by: Riley | 2008/08/03

Sonia - re: bulimia

What concerns me, is that you say you have read up on this and that you know the side-effects. I beg to differ. You wouldn' t even think of this if you knew how bulimia consumes you and how difficult it is to let go and how dangerous it really is.

I went through years of this. At first too, I thought it was great. I' d like to warn you that you are never able to throw up all that you eat and if you are binging so regularly, you are going to gain more weight. (The ' marker'  story is a load of bull) Trust me, I was there. I also thought I' d be able to stop. Well ten years later I am still struggling. I' m not purging 10 times a day anymore, but the need is there.

Rinsing your mouth also isn' t going to do anything. At first, I brushed my teeth afterwards and then learnt that the toothbrush and acid is a horrid combination for your teeth.

Your glands are going to swell up and your face will appear bigger. Your knuckles will be scared for life. It looks like I got into a huge fight.

I understand that you say you don' t even have to stick your finger down your throat? Binging till you are this full, also has severe (and fatal) problems that may rear their head. Also in the long run, you are going to suffer eating ' normally'  and keeping down food - which is hell. Hell with a capital H. Ask any recovering bulimic.

This behaviour will consume you so quickly that you wouldn' t know what hit you. You say this is also stress related from work? Wait till bulimia engulfs you. Bulimia becomes your full time job. There is no time for anything after.

I have posted the numbers for OA in the previous post. I strongly encourage you to call for help. You are not going to solve your unhealthy relationship with food by turning to an ED. It' s like giving an alcoholic herion...

Thank you, Riley, for an honest, helpful and sincere posting !