Posted by: Valerie | 2004/02/10

Son&#39;s problem<br>son&#39;s problem

Hi there everyone. Can anyone out there help me with my son. I have a 3 year old handsome boy. I love him daily and i can do just anything for him. My problem is i am very concerned about his weight. Previously he use not to eat so i take to the GP he gave him some drugs. Now he is eating like nobody's business but i guess his weight is not improving. I think he is too thin as if he does not eat. I really don't know what to do next. I would really love to see my son looking fresh and healthy. What can i do to help him?

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberShrink

As cf says, much depends on a complex bundle of factors, including the size of yourself and his dad, and the usual size of people in both your families. You'll need to keep checking with your GP to be sure he has both identified that there is a really significant lack of weight here, and that he has ruled out physical illnesses as a cause. Personally, I would not use any drugs in treating an underweight child ; I'd even hesitate about using vitamin supplements. Ask the doctor ( and, separately, your best local pharmacist ) what drugs these are and what they are being used for.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: Concerned father | 2004/02/10

I have a similar problem. There are a number of considerations. One that their maybe a genetic make-up if for example both parents are small built than this would be that he follows your genetic make-up. It could also be that he has a high metabolic rate. if it is unusually high consult a biokentisist and or a dietitian (hope i spelt that correctly). I am not a proposer of drugs as it complicates the chemical balance of your body and your body generally produces the necessary chemicals to run itself (it is a self regulating) system. Please note that most GP's use stats that are based in other countries and are not very reflective of the norm here. In addition you need to see if your child is not affected cognitively or froma health perpective than you should not worry about it. You need to give more info as well such as was the birth normal i.e. not prem. what is your build etc... I hope this helps I went through the same about 2 years back.

Reply to Concerned father

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.