Question
Posted by: J | 2004/11/11

Son's medication

Hi CS
We saw the psychiatrist this morning.She did a psychiatric evaluation, and concluded that my son (11 yrs old) is depressed.So she prescribed the fol. meds: Epilim (400mg) and Cipramil (10mg).
We are to do a blood test in 2 weeks to check the Epilim level, and she will provide feedback a week later. He will also be seeing a psychologist in 3 weeks, I suppose for further assessments, IQ tests, etc.I will then enquire about further psych/social treatments available.
She "suspects" bipolar disorder.I asked about prognosis (damn, couldnt remember the word during our session).She will provide feedback at next session, or I cant remember.There was just so much information and couldnt grasp all.The common side-effects she has come across children are Epilim- nausea, weight gain.
So what do you think?

Remember, I was telling you that I couldnt believe how calm I was through all of this: Well, my GP has just diagnosed a gastric ulcer!!!!!

Thanks again for your help.

J. and Damon

Thanks again

Thanks for the feedback, J, and things are now sounding much more hopeful. Sounds like a good and helpful psychiatrist. When most of us trained, we were told that Bipolar disorder NEVER occurred in children. Now it is gradually becoming clear that it DOES, and more often than was thought, and maybe some cases are misdiagnosed as ADD. Your psychiatrist is wise to take some time to decide on this, and to have further tests done, to be more sure. Epilim is useful in being one of the relatively few drugs where we can meaningfully measure blood levels, so as to ensure that there is enough to be useful, and not enough to cause significant side-effects.
Don't worry about words like prognosis, as outlook, etc., do as well --- and she'll want the further information, presumably, before feeling confident of being able to give good advice on this issue.
And as for the ulcer, well, now we know where you were storing all the anxiety ! it's interesting how sometimes emotions relating to stress which are not expressed in open emotions and words, express themselvves in physical symptoms and ailments.
Do keep us in the picture about the further progress I confidently expect.