Question
Posted by: Nina | 2007/03/29

Son wearing my undies

Hi! I tried my Q on a different site, where I thought I would get a profesional response, but to no avail. I'll try here.

My 6yo son dresses up in my underware and hides. I thought it would be a passing phaze but its been going on for about 3 years. I've tried the different approches that I could come up with like talking nice, telling him he shouldnt do it, its my private things, gotten a stern voice, but I've never punished him for doing it. But its starting to bother me more, and he is getting older. He has also gone into my others dresser and taken her undies out.

My Q is how to deal with it, what should I do, or am I doing something wrong! I dont want to 'damadge' or scare my son. Yes they do need to explore, and i dont think there is any sexual conectaion to it, he is to young. Am I wrong in thinking that? Should I take him to see a proffesional? I do have a thought stuck in the back of my head that really bothers me about it - my dad was gay and a pedophile, and I dont want my son to go the same route! That is my sissues! Please advice me urgently!
Thanx

Some such experimenting at around 3 ( which sounds like when you say this was starting ) usually isn't serious. But for this to have persisted for 3 years, suggests the kid is confused about his gender identity, probably among other issues, and would really benefit from seeing a child psychologist or child psychiatrist for a proper assessment and specific advice based on the results of such an assessment.
It's no a matter of you doing or having done something wrong. There may or may not be some sexual aspects ( as distinct from gender aspects ) to this behaviour.