Question
Posted by: Rov | 2006/04/20

Son walking on his toes

I wonder if you can maybe help. My four yr old son walks on his toes. The paeditricain said that it is the mussle at the back of his ankle which is stiff and and we need to basically stretch and massage his feet by bending his foot slowly towards his shin and keepin it like that about 10 minutes. I was wondering is there maybe a shoe or takkie or boot that I can buy instead that will keep his feet flat while running around during the day?.

Expert ImageArchive

Your paediatician is correct but I would be more agressive with the treatment
This problem is related to either habit or a tight calf muscle group, if it is habitual then stretching and boots are the answer, if it is a short calf or achilles tendon then you may need the services of a peadiatric orthoedic surgeon to use serial casts (plaster of paris) to stretch the muscle and tendon over a long time
My advice is to go see a paediatric orthopaedic surgeon as the longer you leave this the harder it will be to treat later, I would not follow a surgical treatment until you have failed completely with conservative treatments like serial casting
call the SA Orthopeadics association ( a Bloemfontein number)to get a paediatric orthopedic surgeon

2
Posted by: Rov | 2006/04/24

I think it is a bad habit now, problem is I'm scared his feet will form and grow like that as he is growing. I will check with his doc at his next visit. Thanks for replying.

Reply to Rov
Posted by: Don't worry | 2006/04/21

Is this maybe just a habit? I remember years ago I knew a girl that used to always walk on her toes. Today she is a stunning girl who walks "normally" if you want to call it that.

Reply to Don't worry