Question
Posted by: Lohna | 2004/12/21

son bleeding

My son, aged 15, had severe nosebleeds about 2-3 years ago, but our gp said it's nothing to worry about. Recently, however, I noticed that he tends to bleed quite a lot when he got injured. For example: the other day he cut himself while shaving. Usually the bleeding of this kind of cut stops within a few minutes. He was still bleeding about and hour later, and I was quite shocked to see that the tissue he was pressing on the cut was soaked with blood. I called our gp for advise and again he assured me that I have nothing to worry about. I am worried though, this does not seem normal to me. Should I take him for some sort of check-up and maybe get a second opinion on this?

Lohna, bleeding for an hour after having nicked yourself with a razor isn’t normal. It might be a sign of anaemia, a blood clotting disorder, a bone marrow disorder, vitamin deficiency, etc. I think the best would be to get a second opinion from a different doctor just to make sure. Good luck.

2
Posted by: science | 2004/12/22

Sounds as though your son might have a bleeding or coagulation disorder, as his blood doesn't seem to be clotting soon enough. Please see you GP and insist on tests such bleeding and prothrombin time etc! if he still doesn't want to do that, find a new GP. Do so soon.

Reply to science
Posted by: Mummy | 2004/12/21

I think you should get a second opinion.
Rather be safe that being sorry!!!

Reply to Mummy