Question
Posted by: Lucy | 2008/01/25

sometimes its NOT ringworm!

Hi all

My 5 yr old child had what looked so much like ringworm and I got pharmacists to look at her (had no money for a doc right then). They also said it was ringworm. After a month of applying anti fungal creams and taking all the necessary measures things had not improved and were in fact worse. Then I got some money and took her to a GP and it took him 5 seconds to diagnose ptyriasis rosea. He says it is mistaken for ringworm very, very often. It does not need anti fungals and hence will not respond to them. I applied the emollient cream he gave me and the condition went in two days.

To anyone who has a child with 'stubborn ringworm which just won’t go' please just consider it might be ptyriasis rosea!!!

Dear Lucy

Thank you for visiting health24.com and your comments regarding ringworms.

1
Posted by: Tsk | 2008/01/25

I got the same condition a while back and also thought it was ringworm. It itches like mad, especially after you had a bath. The good news of this condition is that you can get it only once and some sun exposure can help to cure it (to some extent). It usually affects kids and young adults.

I now unfortunatley have a cousin of the pityriases...pityriases versicolor. It is similar but is caused by the after effects of sunburn. The is unfortunaltley recurrent but can be treated with over-the counter stuff.

Reply to Tsk