Question
Posted by: Non-festive | 2005/12/05

Something to take of the edge

Hi CS,

My in-laws will be spending Christmas and New Years with us. It's always a stressful having them with us. My mother-in-law reminds me of the movie Monster-in-Law, except that the mother-in-law in the movie is much nicer than my mother-in-law. I suffer from IBS and when they visit us, I am in pain 24 hours a day. Is there some medication that you can recommend to make me calm and not so stressed out? I just need something to help me survive the festive season!

Thank you!

Ideally, one should se a CBT counsellor, to learn to switch off that stress response and to find ways to refuse to allow her to press your stress buttons. Liza's suggestion may also be worth trying.

1
Posted by: Liza | 2005/12/05

Go to the pharmacy and get Bevispas. You don't need a prescription for it and it has worked wonders for me. Although I don't need it now with the proper medication for my panic and generalised anxiety disorder.

Take one tablet 3x daily BEFORE eating. My sister always complained that it didn't work, but she always had it after meals too.

PS. Do NOT follow this advise if you haven't been on medication for IBS before. Bevispas is one of the generics for Colofac. Its much cheaper though, and works just as well. Something else you might want to drink with it, is Pancreoflat - although this is very expensive and only helps if you're terribly windy with the IBS.

Reply to Liza