Question
Posted by: Michelle | 2003/02/04

Something to replace "Hi-Fiber Bran"?

I'm battling to find a cereal that can give me all the vitamins and minerals I need along with fiber. I use to eat hi-fiber bran which gave me everything I need and it had the added bonus of having a very low fat content and very high in fibre. Unfortunately wheat kills me so I have been looking for something that gives me the same benefits without the wheat. I have been looking at oats but find its very high in fat compared to hi-fiber and also does not give me all the nutrients. I really don't want to increase my fat % in my diet unless I'm getting added benefits with it. Can you suggest a cereal out there that can successfully replace hi-fiber bran and not increase my fat intake.

Dear Michelle
There are really not that many other products which are practically all bran or dietary fibre. Are you eating the oats raw? If you cook them the fat content drops to 1.6%. Otherwise I can only suggest that you eat a variety of cooked non-wheat cereals like unsifted maize meal, Maltabella (made from sorghum) and the oats and ingest your vitamins and minerals from other items in the diet like fruit, vegetables, low-fat milk and dairy, etc.

1
Posted by: daisy | 2003/02/05

The fat in the oats are what they call good fat, this would easily be burnt up my lunch.
The only 'wheat free' cereal I can think of on the market right now is a cereal called 'Oaties' made by Bokomo in a purple box, very delious, but any other cereal other than plan 'bran' will have a slightly higher fat content. DietDoc must know of a cereal that is low in fat and suitable for those that are wheat intolorent.
PS every thought of Pronutro???

Reply to daisy