Question
Posted by: Della | 2004/03/11

Something is haunting me

Hi Cybershrink

I have terrible recurring dreams. Most times, they involve my concealing or hiding a dead body. In these dreams, I know I have not killed the person, but I am convinced that I will not be believed. In most dreams, the person who is dead died by mistake, but for some reason I feel responsible for hiding and concealing the body. Every dream end s up with the burial place being discovered. I have to stand by while the body is being excavated. I have become mildly phobic, as a result, about spades and freshlly dug earth. In some of my dreams, the dead person is a grandmother. I have had a stable family background, however, I did have two illegal abortions as a teen. Could these be related to my terrying dreams? Thanks - Anon
PS Sometimes I dream that I have been forced to wash the dead people before I bury them.

Dear Della,
Well, given that the content of most dreams is forgotten, and that most of the rest is a meaningless jumble of bits and random pieces, like a heavily fragmented hard drive on a computer, recurrent themes may suggest some meanings, likely to be related to current concerns you have, whether you are fully aware of them while awake, or not.
These dreams seem to be about issues of responsibility ; being blamed, probably unfairly ; and of the need for concealment of something, coupled with the risk of the exposure of whatever has been concealed. The experience of abortions, especially perhaps illegal abortions, could indeed colour such dreams --- something where you may not be directly responsible for death of others, but could be blamed for it by some, events you perhaps still feel conflicted about, feeling guilty to some extent while recognizing their justification. Events you feel the need to conceal, but perhaps fear that in some way the facts will get "dug up" again, perhaps with you feeing powerless to prevent this exposure, but that you'd be forced to clean up again afterwards. Maybe the grandmother element yakes note of the fact that this happened some time ago, and is an old issue, though one that you may fear could still somehow confront you.
Does any of this interpretation make any sense to you ? Is it of any use ? if so, please post a FRESH mesage to comment further, rather than adding your comment to this thread.