Question
Posted by: wonder | 2004/01/22

Something I don't understand about ovulation

I'm a 25 year old woman, and I have a question that's been bugging me for a while now. It is said that a woman's most fertile period is during ovulation (and say 3-4 days before and after the expected date of ovulation). Now if the egg is released and NOT fertilized, it gets discarded together with the uterus lining, and that is called menstruation. BUT what happens to the egg after ovulation, before menstruation? Why is a woman not fertile during that time? There are a few days between the end of ovulation and the start of menstruation...could someone explain that to me?

Thanks!

Your understanding is slightly mixed up. If an egg is not fertilised, it disintegrates in the body and is reabsorbed within a couple of days. Menstruation results from hormonal changes in the womb lining following on ovulation and does not involve shedding of the egg.