Question
Posted by: boo | 2004/11/10

Some flab in strange places...?

FitnessDoc,
i have gyming for a few months now and i must admit i feel and look great. My body fat % is down 20% from 25% in just 3 months! I cardio 3-4 x per week for +- 30-40 mins a day.
The problem is: I have a little bit of FAT still on the inside of my lower back / sides... i know you can't spot reduce but what can i do to firm it up? and there is some fat in my inner thighs as well... i do that machine at gym that you squeeze the weight together between you knees - but i'm scared that forms a muscle! I don't want a muscle or flat there - please help for an exercise i could do - even at home - just to firm up these areas!
ThanX

Hi Boo

You are not alone in having this problem, just looking back over the last few weeks of the forum will show you that. The answer is to be patient and keep going. You should probably not change your programme just yet - at least, not wholesale changes. I would suggest that you do these exercises, but keep the focus on your cardiovascular training. If you can add the circuit training to your programme, that will help right away. I know that there are plenty of other exercises you can do, but the circuit is the most compact, and whole body, and so rather than going into the weight training section of the gym and really targetting one muscle, do your regular cardio and then add the circuit training you should see the increased tone result. It also won't build muscle, because you won't be lifting huge weights so you should maintain the weight loss and add some tone.