Posted by: M | 2008/08/29

I was involved in traumatic incident when i was about 8 years old. I have since developed a sense of fear for the unknown. I remember back constantly thinking that i was one of those people who would brush things off and take risks because " it would never happen to me"  and being attacked by the dog suddenly made me vulnerable to the fact that it could happen to me. I developed a fear of heights, i have panic attacks, i convince myself a hundred times over why i should not take any kind of risk.. (driving to the airport at night cos " what if i get hijacked..." ). It is holding me back from a new phase in my life and i want nothing more than to learn to manage the fear or face it head on. It is breaking down other areas of my life and has for MANY years. Please give me some advice here. What are my options?

Its a significant element of any trauma, the sudden recognition that we are personally vulnerable, and that bad things can happen to us, as well as to other people. And its also a feature of must phobic anxiety that if it does not receive proper treatment, it generalizes ( that is, the anxiety gets provoked by an ever wider set of triggers ; and that the efforts one makes to avoid those circumstances become progressively more limiting and disabling in one's life.
The good news is that these conditions usually respond extremely well to proper treatment, which ought to include Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy from a skilled psycghologist ( some psychiatrists do it, too ) and medication including meds otherwise also used to treat Depression. DO see a good local shrink fo man assessment and diagnosis, and discuss such treatment options --- you can transform your life back to what it could have been had that dog gone dosn a different road.

Posted by: Anonymous | 2008/08/29

' To face you fears is how you defeit it. What if you lived in fear and never get to enjoy live?'  ' But sometimes fear helps to protect us, I know if ...'  ' So if you don' t risk you' ll be deprived of the feeling of accomplishment.'  ' just tell me why you have these pains in your chest'  ' Cause.... so don' t feel alone its your not alone'