Question
Posted by: Mel | 2007/04/11

Some advice needed Please..

Hi everyone,

This morning I took my 7 year old Jack Russell cross to the Vet cause he was weak - walking very slowly, no barking etc...
He has been diagnosed with billary.. The Vet said that he is full of parasites so I assume he has it quite badly! He was given three injections and has to go back tomorrow for some more..

Would just like to know what is the recovery rate like? And what can I give him to make him feel a little better?

The recovery rate is usually very good if there are no complications. Sometimes the body sees the red cells as "foreign" and start destroying them. This can be a serious problem but your vet will be able to tell you if he is responding in this manner. Good nursing and apetizing food will help get him through. He will be a bit anaemic probably so giving a bit of liver will help.

3
Posted by: Blaah | 2007/04/11

tick bite fever is very painful and horrid
ask me

good luck and i hope that you doggie gets well soon

agreed with the above, get into a good tick and flea control programme asap

Reply to Blaah
Posted by: Kate | 2007/04/11

Infested with parasites - poor thing.
Thank goodness you got him to the vet in time, I have seen many dogs die quickly from "a" tick bite let alone an infestation.
I have a tonic I got from my vet that helps a dog build up there strength I think it is called "Heptonic".
But please keep him indoors until he is strong enough and then make sure you get rid of the tick problem.
I use a preventic collar, frontline and capstar on my Jack Russell
- Although capstar is only for fleas -.
Let us know how he is doing.

Reply to Kate
Posted by: Gaby | 2007/04/11

Mel I am sure he will be fine by later this evening or tomorrow morning... if the injections were the ones that sting ( did he cry and try and scracth where he got injected) if yes... then he will be okay..

My dog had it twice and it works like a BOME!!

best wishes G

Reply to Gaby