Question
Posted by: CHRIS | 2006/08/01

Sodium Diclofenac

Dear Doc

I am based in the UK and really enjoy your helpful comments and often read your answers to problems posted that relate to me.

I have been suffering from severe headaches that started about 3 weeks ago with a sharp pain on my left side at the bottom of my head and top of my neck..It got worse and moved further up to almost the top of my head.It is unbereable during the day and also wakes me up at night...

I went to the GP here yesterday and she gave me Sodium Diclofenac 50mg to take 3 times a day for 2 weeks..She believes it is neck spasm that has moved up into my head.

Is it ok to take the anti-inflammetry tablets for 2 weeks and do you think that was the correct diagnosis.

Chris

Dear Chris
Sodium Diclofenac is Voltaren and anti-inflammatory and anti-pain. However, if it is a muscle spasm, and it is so severe that it wakes you up at night, it may be worth your while to also see a physiotherapist and take an muscle relaxant like Robaxin ( be careful can make you sleepy).