Question
Posted by: Lin | 2007/11/28

Sodawater?

Good day, i am adicted to sodawater. I just love it do not drink anything els. I have resendle started to gain vat and was just wondering if Sodawater of if the gas in sodawater can make me vat. I am 28 and have never been vat in my life havend got kids and have a healthy appetide. Dont eet vat, eet everything write but do not have time to exersice...

Please tel me if i have to stop drinking sodawater?

Dear Lin
As soda water does not contain any energy (kJ) and carbon dioxide is not know for causing weight gain you certainly don't need to stop drinking soda water. You may be ingesting more energy than you require and this could be causing the weight gain. To lose weight you need to basically change your lifestyle. Reduce your energy intake by eating an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), and increasing your energy output by doing regular exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life). If you don't have time to go to a gym or Walk for Life, then do home exercises, for example, you can always buy a skipping rope and skip every day. Start off gradually skipping slowly for about 10 min a day and as you get fitter, increase how fast you skip and how long until you are doing 30 min a day.

1
Posted by: Nicky | 2007/11/28

Soda water might make you bloated (because of all the gas), but impossible to make you fat as real soda water doesn't contain any nutrients whatsoever. Most people (if not everyone) get to a certain age (and 28 is round about there) where to body starts to excel in storing its surplus energy intake as fat - a sad fact of life! So even though you don't really change your diet your energy metabolism changes and you need to pay much more attention to what you eat.
You say you don't eat fat, which technically is almost impossible. Remember, fat isn't just that white stuff stuck to the side of a lamb chop. Here's one example, muesli, most people think it's pure wholesome goodness while most muesli contain between 10 and 15% fat! Start looking at the labels of the food you buy in supermarkets. You'll be amazed at how much fat it really contains!
It sounds to me like you're at that stage of your life where you're going to have to make the commitment and make some significant lifestyle changes or accept the fact that you're getting fat and also at increased risk of heart disease. In short, stay away from fat and refined foods and make the time to exercise. Good luck!

Reply to Nicky