Posted by: Worried | 2007/06/12

Socio Path

My son of 20 show definite signs of being a sociopath. I've been to a few shrinks - and all see the situation the same. (That he is possible a sociopath). I've read lots of information about this, and I am dumb struck. Dont know what to do, and how to cope.

He has always been my alpha and omega.
He is a highly intelligent child. Extremely manipulating. He verbal abuses me; always makes me fell guilty about everything; expects every scenario to turns out perfect for him; is completely self centered....etc etc etc

As a family, none of us can cope with him.
He really gets extreme rage attacks sometimes. Specially when he sees he cannot rule over anyone in his presence.

Dont know how to cope. I cannot seem to identify any "internal" problem, for he was raised in a household with a solid foundation. We've been married for 22 years and are still in love. He was our first born and spoiled rotten. Never any financial difficulty. A solid home environment. I was a "mom at home" in the afternoons, to be with them. Grew up in a small town.

He doesn't drink and no signs of drugs. Any advice will be appreciated

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberShrink

Sadly an intelligent psychopath is especially difficult, because they are clever enough to manipulate you successfully. But though they are untreatable except when rarely they actually genuinely want to change and seek help, what can and should help would be for YOU to seek skilled local counselling --- not because there is something wrong with you, but to enable you to avoid some of the manipulation. For instance, you should not allow him to make you feel guilty --- none of what he is or does is YOUR fault, and he does that so as to better avoid taking the proper responsibility for his own choices and actions. Maybe at most, the "spoiling him rotten" was significant in encouraging him to believe that everything ought to work for him, and go his way -- and for you in counselling to learn to change that habitual response would benefit you and could benefit him.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.