Question
Posted by: petoors | 2004/11/12

social anxiety disorder

I am a 21 year old suffering from social phobia. I have been to a shrink and I am currently on medication. The therapy she did with me helped for a while but now I'm expereincing a relapse. I am always wondering what other people are thinking of me.I can't live a happy or normal life. Please help. Where can I go,what can I do. I don't whant to spend the rest of my days in my parents' house and in their care. I know I am a talented young man but I just can't keep going on like this

I always think that good therapy should include a component of Relapse Prevention. It's almost inevitable that there'll eventually be some mild degree of relapse, so the initial therapy ought to deal with how to deal with this when it does happen, and make it as short-lasting as possible. Why bnot go back to that shrink, and point out that her work was incomplete and needs further work ? Or try a second opinion from a different shrink, to take matters further. If you can find someone locally who does CBT, Cognitive-Behavioural Therapy, that's be perfect. And wait till I can get the book reviews writen,. as there's a good self-help CBT book about social anxiety, coming up !

1
Posted by: Shaun | 2004/11/12

Hi Petoors,

Can I suggest you go back about 2 pages & read the posting number 12548 by Matthew? Especially consider the responses.

Please come back here & state if there are any further concerns. I feel the responses there are quite apt, & CS does go into some detail...

Regards,
Shaun

Reply to Shaun