Question
Posted by: Puppylove | 2003/02/26

Social Anxiety Disorder

Is there any short-term / quick cure or help for Social anxiety disorder. I managed to get an appointment with a psychiatrist - but only in April - and before that I have so many 'social' situations to deal with! It was cool when I was on medication (Zoluft) - and I made lot's of friends - but now that I'm off it - they all say I'm suddenly very quiet and they seem uncomfortable around me because I'm not so lively and funny anymore. (Just nervous, anxious and withdrawn) Imagine telling people - that you were only fun because you were taking medicine. Is there anything I can think / do that will ease the anxiety until I can get help? Should I go to the gp and go back on antidepressants until I can see the shrink? Will I have to go through all the side-effects again? Please help - I'm alienating people at an amazing rate!

Dear puppylove,
OK, you have had Social Anxiety Disorder diagnosed, and responded well to Zoloft. Fine. The drug can make you less depressed and less anxious in social situations --- it can't make you funny or fun --- that part was you, just how you are without the added burden of the disorder.
I sems likely that you would again improve on resuming the drug, which your GP could prescribe ; and the shrink could then take this into account, and can also look to adding psycholoical treatments to help you maintain your progress. You may well hav the same side-effects as you had last time, but that shou;d be worth it for the benefits you describe having experienced before.
But Alienating people ? What sort of pals hink less of you and get Alienated, just because you're a bit more shy and a bi less fun than earlier ?