Question
Posted by: Bee | 2008/05/21

So worried.....

Dear doc or any girl out there,

My gynae just phoned and said my papsmear results are abnormal, that I must go in for a colposcopy. He said that if it is leaft for a couple of years, it could results in cervical cancer. But how often is a papsmear abnormal, does it happen to many girls and quite often?

I read about it on the Net and read a lot about HPV, sexually transmitted disease that could cause the results to be abnormal. But surely, a STD? Sounds to hectic, happens to people who sleep around surely?

Please advise if I should be worried....?

Dear Bee
It happens to a lot of girls! A colposcopy is a test where they wipe the cervix with diluted acetic acid, if there are any abnormal cells it shows up as white spots. This is then cauterized and voila! problem solved. One then just have to go for regular check ups to ensure that it stays healthy. It does happen unrelated to HPV and STD's too. This is 100% treatable and managable if treated correctly and early enough.
One of the reasons why we need to go for a papsmear EVERY year!!