Question
Posted by: Yellow Bear | 2005/07/25

So sorry..... another question

sorry about this but ever since i got preggies my mind has gained about 20years (i'm very forgetful)

anyway, How much Vitamin A is allowed in pregnancy. i just bought some vitamins and they contain 2000IU of Vitamin A

I hope Angela's information has helped.

2
Posted by: Angela | 2005/07/25

I found this on the net: -

Women in their reproductive years should be informed that the excessive use of vitamin A shortly before and during pregnancy could be harmful to their babies. The National Research Council's recommended dietary allowance for vitamin A during pregnancy is 1,000 retinol equivalents (RE)/day, which is equivalent to 3,300 IU as retinol or 5,000 IU of vitamin A obtained from the typical American diet as a combination of retinol and carotenoids, e.g., beta-carotene. An average balanced diet contains approximately 7,000-8,000 IU of vitamin A derived from different sources. Therefore, women who are at risk for becoming pregnant should consider their dietary intake of vitamin A before taking supplements. The USRDA (recommended daily allowance) established by the Food and Drug Administration is 8,000 IU/day. Supplementation of 8,000 IU vitamin A (as retinol/retinyl esters) per day should be considered the recommended maximum prior to or during pregnancy until further evaluations can be performed in the human population. It is important to determine the type of vitamin A consumed, since beta-carotene has not been associated with vitamin A toxicity in animals or man

Reply to Angela
Posted by: karin | 2005/07/25

only buy a prenatal vitamin, this has the correct amount. xxx

Reply to karin