Question
Posted by: Blue | 2007/08/10

So lonely

I don't know what is wrong with me but I feel so incredibly lonely even when I am with people. I have a wonderful husband, work from home and take care of the household and my 16 year old daughter but I feel so lonely all the time. I have a few friends where I live and I see them whenever possible but I just feel so lonely. it's as if I am shut off from the rest of the world. What can I do to alleviate the pain of lonliness?

What would definitely help would be psychotherapy or serious counselling. From the sound of it, you are busy, and have a reasonable number of personal contacts with others, but don't fully obtain the enjoyment and comfort one could get from those contacts. Also, if yo have any spare time, maybe try to get involved in a few hours a week of volunteer work, with a chariy or NGO or some other worthwhile activity, to get enjoyment from being helpful and on the other hand getting out of your immediate home surroundings. I know, as I also work from home, that while there are definite advantages to this, it can also mean that one can come to feel shut-in and isolated.

1
Posted by: hope | 2007/08/11

i agree with cs. You are devoping a sort of cabin fever, and you feel important with in your home, you feel a bit without worth to the outside world. I think getting involved in anything would help you. Be it a social club, or some sort of class one night a week, or even developing a new hobby that will give you enjoyment. You may try to deepen relationships you have by communicating more often. I went through a similar situation being a stay at home mom. I sort of lost my sense of being. And the times I was around people I knew, I felt lonely and unimportant. The problem is that you don't feel like your are doing anything just for you only. And we need that. Having a reason to go outside of the home and belong to something will help you a great deal.

Reply to hope