Question
Posted by: Cathy | 2006/07/20

So depressed

Hi Cybershrink

I am writing this msg because I don't know what to do anymore. Why do one get depressed? I have 3 beautiful daughters(5, 3 and 10 months) a lovely husband and I still feel like I want to cry myself to sleep everynight, for no reason. I walk around thinking why am I here? What is my purpose in life? Then when I go to bed at night and everything becomes quite I get frightened because who knows I might be next on the list to leave this world. Last year was a terrible year and we lost 2 family members in 3 months and another was diagnosed with cancer. My mind is racing and I feel this feeling of doom around me the whole time. I don't know how to snap out of it, and I have to because my little girls need me.

I don't expect you to reply back, somehow it made me feel better just to wright it down.

Hi Cathy,
So sorry to hear how bad you are feeling nowadays. Obviously we can all become seriosuly depressed when horrible things are happening to us in luife --- it'd be strange if we didn't. But the illness, Depression, often arises from entirely chemical reasons, within one's brain, and leads one to feel terribly sad and depressed without there being any apparent reasons for it, and this may in itself be very disturbing and worrying. ut you may well have an element of both --- last year your family faced a number of sad and frightening events, and you are surely to some extent reacting to this. And then, of course, as anon points out, you could also be experiencing a Post-Ntal Depression following the hormonal tumult of the last pregnancy. So there's no lack of reasons why you may be depressed.
The good news is that Depressions like these don't just need to be endured, but can be very successfully treated, both by medications and by CBT-style counselling.
The best course of action would be for you to se a good local psychiatrist for assessment, and then a discussion of treatment, possibly including medication, but surely, do ask for CBT counselling, which would probably be very helpful indeed.
And do keep in contact with the forum, and let us know how things progress.

3
Posted by: charlieverbatim | 2006/07/21

Hi Cathy
I lost 3 family members between Feb and April this year! Yes it is very difficult to cope, I have 3 kids that I have to be strong for. Maybe you should see someone to discuss your feelings.
Take care

Reply to charlieverbatim
Posted by: anon | 2006/07/21

Cathy, have you been assessed for postnatal depression, sounds like you could be a candidate. You also mention about the deaths in the family. All those events could be contributing to the way you are feeling. Perhaps make an appt and see someone to discuss your feelings, fear and anxiety. You may or may not need some meds to help you out.

Reply to anon
Posted by: Ans | 2006/07/21

Thank you for telling us all your worries.Then again remember that you have those three lovely daughters and a husband that loves you.I find that ever I feel depressed about something, I pray,even when I lay in bed and everything around me is quiet,then I talk to the Lord,and most of the times there is a calmness comming over me.Be strong

Reply to Ans