Question
Posted by: JC | 2004/11/10

Snoring problem

Dear Doc
My husband has a snoring problem, which he fails to admit to. I have had it, with giving him ideas and telling him about remedies for his problem. I am a very light sleeper and because of his snoring, wakes up regularly and struggles to fall asleep. Is there a way that I can hypnotise myself to fall asleep quicker? Because he does not want to admit to his problem, I am trying to find ways for me to live / cope with it. I sometimes take a sleeping pill, but do not want to make this a habit. Please help.

Hypnosis for you isn't the solution, but a better way for dealing with his snoring. Falling asleep quicker won't protect you from waking when he snores later in the night.
(a) check out the possibility of Sleep Apnoea, especially if he's a bit overweight. Does his snoring get louder and louder, then suddenly stop as he stops breathing altogether for a short time, then snorts and starts up again ? IF so, get him to see a doctor to check on this, maybe checked with a local sleep lab if one is available.
(b) otherwise, check on when he snores --- mostly it's when he lies on his back rather than his side. Sew a cottonreel or something similarly hard and uncomfortable in the middle of the back of his pyjama top or sleeping T-shirt, so h'll sleep comfortably on his sides, but when he rolls on his back it'll bother him and wake him, to turn back to his side.

6
Posted by: JC | 2004/11/10

To COW - it seems like you have the same problem - denying that you have a problem. I asked for help and not for your opinion - keep it to yourself. I did not say he did it deliberately, I merely said that he does not want to do anything about it. Save yourself the energy to reply if you cannot help!

Blackbird, thanks for the humerous reply - surely made my day! I could visualise it! thx!

Mg: I would suggest you not to buying the pillow - it did not work for me! I think maybe that is one of the reasons that he does not want to try anything else! Hope we find a solution.
thx
JC

Reply to JC
Posted by: mg | 2004/11/10

Blackbird.... Brilliant! works well for my sense of humour... I personally have a vision of inserting the hose.... mmnnn... hubbie might not like that! And YES JC... I SYMPATHISE!! I'm in the same boat.... no matter which position hubbie sleeps in, he still snores and it sounds like I've got a pneumatic drill next to me... and its not just me... his whole family attests to it! I'm actually going to try out one of those new pillows... I'll let you know if it helps!

Reply to mg
Posted by: blackbird | 2004/11/10

save yourself the money. here is a very cheep non medical way to solve the proble. go outside, cut about a 4 inch piece of garden hose, put some vaseline on it and slip it up his bum, then he cant get any compression to snore. Also works wonders for barking dogs.

hey hey relax ..it's a joke ...

Reply to blackbird
Posted by: Shaun | 2004/11/10

Hi JC,

Yes there are way of helping him to stop snoring. You get pillows that help, medication sometimes helps, & even changing his position in sleeping.

My personal favourite is when I'm snoring, & I sometimes do, my partner very lightly moves my jaw in my sleep. I stop! Sometimes all she has to do is just touch the joint of my jaw-bone & I stop.

It must be quite frustrating to a light sleeper, but please don't try anything that may hurt him. It can be stopped.

Take care,
Shaun

Reply to Shaun
Posted by: COW | 2004/11/10

JC - you are been an unreasonable cos its not like he is deliberatly snoring to keep you out of your sleep - maybe because you make such a big issue of it he is embaraased about it and now is in denial - stop been so damn insensitive

Reply to COW
Posted by: COW | 2004/11/10

I MEANT COW NOT COS!!

Reply to COW