Question
Posted by: kelly | 2008/01/02

Snoring

I my dad snore so bad my mom turns in by me!
He used to smoke but gave up as we thought i was due to that,it never helped.not sleeping on his back dsnt help.
He snore really load and sometimes wake me and im 3 rooms away!
Is there any help out there...

Dear Kelly
Snoring is caused by a lax soft palate that vibrates when you breathe through your mouth when you sleep. It is often found in people with allergies (blocked nose or narrowed airways) or overweight people as the soft tissue closes the airways when you are relaxed.
Self management includes keeping your weight normal, using nasal strips or anti allergic medication, sleeping on your side with a special pillow for snorers to keep the neck in a good position ( I think GAME still keeps these pillows). Medical treatment would include surgery, using a Continuous Positive airway pressure machine, or a special dental mouth piece.
See http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/snoring/DS00297/DSECTION=1