Question
Posted by: Didi | 2006/03/31

sneezing chihuahua

Hi, my chihuahua puppy is 5 months old and ever since i have gotten him he has sneezed a lot. He sneezes at least 2 times in half an hour. He also snores when he sleeps and makes grunty noises. I think it's cute, but i just need to know is it because of the shape of his face (he has a very short snout) or must i take him to the vet? Thanks

It is not really normal for a puppy of that age to sneeze that often. There may however be multiple causes, including allergy. This problem can be quite difficult to investigate without proper equipment. Your vet will normally first try a few treatments to see if it can resolve the situation. Obviously your vet will examine the puppy to try and find the cause and prescribe specific treatment.

Dr Malan van Zyl
Veterinary Specialist Physician
Cape Town

1
Posted by: Chill | 2006/04/01

If he's been doing this since you got him, and he's otherwise ok, I don't think I'd worry too much.

You could always ask when he has his next vaccination, or when he gets neutered.

Reply to Chill