Question
Posted by: Worried | 2004/09/29

Sneezing cat

My one cat was sneezing for about a week and stopped and now the other one started. There is no infection or discharge from the eyes and it seems otherwise fine, eating and running around as usual. What could be the cause? And should I be worried about myself as I am pregnant?

Since both cats were affected, one after the other, it was most probably a viruslike feline herpesvirus. This is usually a self-limiting disease, and adult cats will recover spontaneously in most cases. If the discharge becomes pussy, antibiotics may need to be administered. They should be no concern for your health.

Dr Malan van Zyl
Veterinary Specialist Physician
Cape Town

1
Posted by: Davina | 2004/09/29

The sneezing could be a number of things from feline HIV, herpes or merely an allergy. Have your kitties had all their innoculations?

Although most feline diseases can not be contracted by humans, it is safest for your animals, yourself and your baby to have the cats checked out by a vet asap

Please keep us posted

Reply to Davina