Question
Posted by: CC | 2004/11/08

SNAP OUT OF IT - DEPRESSION

I am presently suffering from depression and taking Cilift. My husband says that I am the one who determines how long I stay depressed. He said that until I say "No more" I will stay depressed.

Erhhm, a rather simplistic message on his side, but he probably meant to be encouraging. Excellent answers all round, Sometimes we can indeed "snap out " of a bad or gloomy mood ---and if we can, we do. Rarely would anyone choose to remain miserable if they had an easy alternative. But with a chemical depression, it may need a bit longer on the medicaton before you can be able to get back within "snapping out" range on mini-glooms.

6
Posted by: Wendy | 2004/11/09

Hi Nina

Thanks for the words. Unfortunately for me, it took a drastic situation of my bf leaving me for me to realise what I was doing to myself. I firmly believe that you can change your life and how you think and feel, but you just need to WANT to do it. Thats the catch. Always remember - think "Pink Thoughts" and everything else will be OK.

Reply to Wendy
Posted by: lady nina | 2004/11/08

hi wendy

thank you so much for your posting, everytime i say that you can overcome depression to an AGREE WHERE IT'S MANAGEBLE i get a lot of flack from the members
but you confirmed what i believe to be true - i'm not talking about where there is a real chemical problem, for that i have empathy !

you go girl just the fact that you are trying really hard in dealing with the problem will make be be more patient and understanding if i was the bf

you rock girl

nina

Reply to lady nina
Posted by: Wendy | 2004/11/08

I agree with some of the things that have been said. I suffer from depression which has been going on since the beginning of the year. I wasn't interested in trying to be positive and didn't want to be around anybody. I was extremely moody. It effected the relationship with my boyfriend and with my child. My boyfriend eventually left me and told me to sort out my life. That was when I decided to do something positive. I keep a diary (can't afford regular counselling) and record my feelings to a certain situation. I stay positive thank god everyday for the opportunity to be here to share with my boyfriend (we got back together) and my child. Depression is hereditary or caused by chemical imbalance. You need to find out what which it is and from there take steps to help YOU. Don't worry about every little thing, if it can't be solved immediately then you can worry about it another day. Stay away from negative people and only speak to positive people. Do something you want once a week (whether it's be by yourself, or with your partner). Take a weekend break and think about things, do a list of pros and cons and rate what you think your problems are on a piece of paper. You will also realise that once you are more relaxed and more interested in life, these problems won't be as huge as you think they are. Live for you first, and then everybody else.
And remember - think "pink thoughts". Keep happy, inspiring phrases by you, get a book of thoughts that you can read when you need to. All these things do contribute to your wellbeing. But at the end of the day it is up to you to break the cycle and only you can do it. Once you are in a state of happiness, you can stop the medication (unless the doctor says you should continue). Good luck.

Reply to Wendy
Posted by: Chelle | 2004/11/08

There are times when you can snap out of a certain mood, and sometimes you can snap out of a depressed mood, but if you have a chemical imbalance which is causing the depression then I am not so sure it can just be corrected by deciding to "snap out of it"
I'm sure you would benefit from therapy. That and the medication will help you get past the current depression.

Reply to Chelle
Posted by: Shaun | 2004/11/08

Hi CC,

In a way, he is right. But being exceedingly hard on you won't help matters. But carry on with your counselling coz it'll help you understand & work thru a lot of things & will make sense in the end. Some people just don't understand that some of us need this type of help, until they need it themselves...

Take care,
Shaun

Reply to Shaun
Posted by: lady nina | 2004/11/08

hi there

it worked for me years ago - i make a choice and took some action

but i've learned from this forum over the years that it dosn't work like that ( why it did for me i don't know but i'm greatful)

i believe all people have down days but i also think that if you are someone who always sees the cup as half empty, you would have to have a change of attitude before you can really get better

i don't understand deperssion and so i find it really hard to identify with someone who suffers from it and for that reason i avoid negative and depressed people, i can't help them and they make me tired and doubt all that is good, thay take so much from me and give nothing or very little back. luckily i manage to seround myself with positive people who have wisdom and empathy and a peace about them

i can understand your hubbies frustration

nina

Reply to lady nina