Question
Posted by: Mina | 2007/05/08

sms as evidence?

has any1 ever received a very insulting and degrading sms from an x-b/f? i'm talking the b*, f*, mother-f words all in one. i want to sue the lil monkey who doesn't b-lieve he can be dumped(bcoz he's an a**hole, basically). i want to sue him for defamation of character/slander. he sent the sms using his brother's cellphone, deleted the message and pretended nothing happenned. i called the bro-in-law and was scared and dumbfounded. call me dumb but trust me this kind of a message gets into u. i donno how many times i've read the sms and each time it feels like a block from me is chipping off...
PLEASE LET'S DEBATE THIS...PLEASE...

,,,,,

7
Posted by: Chelle | 2007/05/09

It's not slander or defamation of character because the sms was to you alone. It wasn't published so your character wasn't put into question by any other persons. So, you can't use that.

But it could be treated as a form of harrasment if he continues to do it.

In the long term though, it is best just to ignore it and not give him the satisfaction of a reaction. When you don't respond he won't get a kick out of it and it will stop.

Reply to Chelle
Posted by: SINGLE MOM | 2007/05/08

Kill him with silence and avoidance, thats what cured mine out his stupid behaviour and made him stop his nonsense, if he has half a brain he will catch a wake up.

The less or nothing you say, the more stupid and humlilated he feels and eventually will give up! When you reply with an insult he gets the impression your angry, miserable, regretful...blah blah of which is not true and of which he will then proceed to use to get to you even more. Remember the saying " If you sleep with dogs you get up with fleas"... so yes avoid!

He will then call if you dont't reply to his smses, which then you will proceed to drop the phone, don't even give him the time to even say more than a "hallo".

When he starts to stalk you, well yes then... get some lawyer advice and slap him with a restraining order.

Reply to SINGLE MOM
Posted by: mina | 2007/05/08

my problem xactly Me, as I might just be getting a very good potential of a catch - if you catch my drift...just imagine...

Reply to mina
Posted by: Me | 2007/05/08

Yes it can be used. I had a jerk ex who started harrassing me via sms. I saw a lawyer who told me to keep the sms's as they can indeed be used as legal evidence in order to obtain a restraining order. See a lawyer and get him to write the jerk a stern letter warning him off - or else he will be slapped with a restraining order.

Reply to Me
Posted by: Gloomer | 2007/05/08

Sure when Joe finds one he will let you know!

Reply to Gloomer
Posted by: mina | 2007/05/08

interesting...so, joe, wanna show me where real men hide?

Reply to mina
Posted by: joe | 2007/05/08

that is what you get for dating jerks....try a real man next time. and the sue part is overated..the best madicine approach the prick in public with his friends watching .....you are a lady man...mess him up...believe me you have the power to make him feel worse...especially since you are the one who did the dumping you are three points ahead........to sue this bastard will cost you time which i for one value the most ...

Reply to joe