Question
Posted by: annon | 2008/05/28

smoking while pregnant

Morning Doc

A friend of fine is 6 weeks preggies and is struggling to stop smoking. She smokes about 10 a day. What can she do to cut down and eventually stop?

Is nicotene chewing-gum alright to be used while in the first trimester? Otherwise, what else can be used...

Thank you for visiting health24.com.

Cold turkey has the highest success rate of smoking cessation. I do not recommend that she uses any products containing nicotine during her pregnancy. She has to think of her baby's well being and stop smoking.

Kind regards

5

Hi I was a smoker,but when i found out i was pregnant i stopped immediatelly.Doc is right you should stop cold turkey and it wont be a shock to your friends or the baby's system.It can only benifit both of you.Your friend will proberly pick up a few extra kilos but its all worth it in the end. My husband suffers from chronic asthma because his mom smoked while pregnant and its heartsore to see him when he has a asthma attack. I hope that everything goes well and that your friend finds the courage to quit for her baby's sake.Take care

Posted by: annon | 2008/05/28

I too smoked when I was pregnant, but I managed to quit when I found out, it took willpower, but I did it. She, on the other hand, is not as strong as I was and as other moms. Her doctor told her not to quit just like that - it could be a shock to her system and a shock to the baby, that is why she wants to gradually cut down to a stop. I understand it is dangerous, which may lead to as you said, many problems. That is why I was wondering if there is any safe measures she can take to stop smoking.

Reply to annon
Posted by: Lolo | 2008/05/28

No, actually I smoked when I was pregnant, I regret now so much! It's the truth and the truth hurts sometimes. I wish someone told me what I just told you when I was pregnant. I'm lucky that I now have a healthy two and a half year old, BUT it's only now that he seems healthy. The first two years he was sick atleast twice a month and he had asthma because of my smoking, the midicine was very expensive. Some babies die just before birth or after birth when they're about three months old. I feel sorry for her, it's hard I know, but she needs to face the facts.

Reply to Lolo
Posted by: annon | 2008/05/28

Thanx for your comment Lolo - being a bit more possitive would have been a better approach. At least she is doing something about it and is wanting to stop. It's not like she smokes like a chimney, but hey - who am I to judge you, I guess you are a good person who has never done anything wrong in your life.

Reply to annon
Posted by: lolo | 2008/05/28

She can stop with the thought that she might kill her baby!

Reply to lolo