Question
Posted by: Patricia | 2007/04/17

smoking while pregnant

pls let me know the effects smoking can have on my baby.
I am only 2 months pregnant, and I am having trouble quitting.
what are the dangers and the leniency?
thanks

Smoking interferes with the oxygen supply to the baby and can cause problems with growth. It also increases the risks of preterm labour, abruptio and sudden infant death syndrome.

5
Posted by: Kat | 2007/04/18

From my standpoint, there are plenty of things to worry about (being pregnant/healthy baby etc) that you cannot control. Smoking, however, you can control. I'm sure its tough to quit but you will be glad you did the right thing by your new baby.

Reply to Kat
Posted by: me | 2007/04/17

in my opinion, you ladies are trying to find an excuse not to quit. maybe you should read the article in Your Pregnancy the January /february one. i've been there don't get me wrong, and you are probably upset about my first sentance, quitting is honestly the hardest thing in the word to do. but you have to. trust me it's not good. please even if you cut down to one a day.

Reply to me
Posted by: H | 2007/04/17

Ah, the age old argument, "but my mom did and I turned out fine". My mom also smoked when she was pregnant with me and my siblings but the difference is that then they didn't know all the harm it can cause but today they do. No matter what anybody tells you, if YOU don't make the decision yourself to stop because you want only the best for your baby, then no amount of research will change your mind.

Reply to H
Posted by: from 1 to another | 2007/04/17

I am also struggling to quit...my question is: b4 all the awareness on smoking and the dangers, mothers have been smoking and their kids were fine, i have spoken to a 60 yr old and she said she smoked 2 packs a day (not recommeded personally)and her kids were fine....Patricia maybe we can chat about this

Reply to from 1 to another
Posted by: H | 2007/04/17

This is an article from babyworld dot com. Please stop for the sake of your unborn baby, you will never regret it. Every time you feel like lighting up, think of it as poisining/harming your unborn baby. Your baby deserves only the best! Good luck!

Smoking in pregnancy
Uproar followed the publication of a photograph of Kate Moss puffing on a cigarette despite being several months pregnant. And Sarah Jessica Parker, whose Sex and the City character Carrie Bradshaw can barely survive an hour without a Marlboro Light, has been furiously chewing nicotine gum to beat the cravings as she awaits the birth of her first child. So, what are the risks of smoking whilst pregnant?

You probably already know that smoking increases your risk of lung cancer and heart attacks. But did you know that women who smoke are more likely to develop cancer of the cervix, and that smoking is to blame in some way for one in three middle-aged deaths?

If you smoke when pregnant you are harming your baby as well as yourself. A baby born to a smoker is:

More likely than other babies to be abnormal in some way
More likely to have an unhealthy placenta
Twice as likely to be born prematurely
Three times more likely to be underweight at birth (even if he is born on time)
More likely than other babies to die suddenly in the first year of his life (a cot death)
Do not be misled into thinking that labour with a small baby is easier. A small baby has less strength to cope with labour, and runs a greater risk of dying at this time. Being born small can affect a baby’s health well into adulthood.

How smoking harms your baby
Each time you smoke a cigarette you breathe in a gas called carbon monoxide. This gas interferes with the transport of oxygen in your blood, and your baby’s supply of oxygen is reduced. Without a good supply of oxygen, your baby’s growth may be stunted.

The nicotine in cigarettes causes further harm. Nicotine narrows the blood vessels in the placenta, and this reduces still more the amount of oxygen and nutrients flowing to your baby. Nicotine also makes your baby’s heart beat faster. Recent research has shown that the nicotine from each cigarette you smoke passes to your baby and collects in the fluid in which he floats.

By smoking cigarettes low in carbon monoxide, nicotine and tar you may slightly reduce the effects of smoking on your baby.

For many women, cigarettes offer a short escape from the pressures of everyday life and giving up smoking is not easy. But for the sake of your baby you have to try, or at least to cut down. It is never too late in pregnancy to stop, or to reduce the number and strength of cigarettes. Your baby will immediately feel the benefits.

Reply to H