Posted by: Mark | 2008/11/11

Smoking in the house

Hi, I am a smoker myself but hate the smell of smoke inside a house, in all your clothes etc etc. it makes everything smell like smoke and it is horrible. I always smoke outside, now my problem is that my wife does not wanto smoke outside of our house, she simply state that she pays half the rent so she will smoke in the house, obviously leading to many fights and no solution, we have a 10 year old son, but that does not seem to bother her that the smoke will harm him.

What can I do to solve this situation? Is there anything from a legal perspective that I can get or do to forbid her to smoke indoors?

I know this probably sounds stupid but it is a huge issue for me and talking and begging about it makes things worse.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageEnviroHealth expert

No, it doesn't sound stupid at all. It's a serious issue and I'm so sorry its causing strife in your home.

Unfortunately I don't think the current law is going to help in this case. And it's little comfort for me to say you are absolutely right. Passive smoking has been proved undeniably as a health risk - and especially so for children; I could send you a long, growing list of studies to this effect (and I'd be happy to if you think it'd help!). It really is completely unacceptable and selfish in the 21st century, with all the knowledge of what smoking does, to smoke around a child.

I think it's going to become - legally - increasingly difficult to smoke around kids. For example, a UK council this month banned smokers from becoming foster parents (a controversial decision, but it shows the trend that many are taking this very seriously).

Would it not be possible to reach a compromise where she only smokes in a certain room/certain rooms of the house, preferably with the door closed and the windows open?

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.